Chiwan Left Battery

Source: 2022-01-25

Chiwan Left Battery was first constructed in the 56th year of Kangxi in the Qing Dynasty (AD 1717), which has ever contributed much to Lin Zexu’s ban on opium-smoking and Xin’an People’s struggle against British invaders.

Chiwan Left Battery is rectangular in shape, facing the south and with a door on the north side. The lower part of the battery was built with granite stones and the upper part with large green bricks. The battery is 26.2 meters long and 4.5 meters high, inside which there are 7 barracks respectively being soldier rooms, official room, shrine, kitchen, and ammunition depots. The items used by soldiers guarding the battery at that time including utensils, bullets, daggers, and shells, were excavated from under the collapsed barracks in the battery.

In 1984, in order to commemorate Lin Zexu, a patriotic general and national hero of the Qing Dynasty, the Shenzhen Municipal Government erected a bronze statue of Lin Zexu at Chiwan Left Battery, which is 3.2 meters high and weighs 1.8 metric tons, the largest one in China. It was created by Tang Daxi, a famous sculptor in China, and inscribed by Zhao Puchu.

In May 1983, Chiwan Left Battery was designated a cultural relics protection site by Shenzhen Municipal Government.

Location: Road Chiwan Left Battery, Shekou, Nanshan District, Shenzhen

Copyright © Shenzhen Nanshan Information Network Center. All rights reserved.